A dented garage door can impact your home’s curb appeal and the security of your garage. Thankfully, there are several tried and true methods for garage door dent removal and repair.
At Oregon City Garage Door, our experts have put together a guide on fixing a bent garage door panel to help you get started.
Common Ways Garage Doors Are Dented
Manufacturers build many standard garage doors with aluminum and steel because of their durability and low maintenance. The downside is that they are easy to dent. Many things can dent your garage doors, from accidents to nature.
Over time, the impacts of high winds, rain, hail and snow can cause your garage door to weaken and buckle. Without regular yearly maintenance, this process can happen faster.
It’s surprisingly easy to get into an accident when your garage doesn’t open all the way or you can’t see it in your car’s blind spot. Leaving an object in the door’s path or track can also lead to significant damage. Even a stray Frisbee or baseball can make a small dent.
Can Dents in Garage Doors Be Repaired?
If you have a dented garage door, you should first examine the damage to determine whether a DIY repair is possible.
Check whether your garage door can open and close. Exercise caution before attempting to open the door because the assembly has a high level of tension. If the door can’t open and close, you’ll need professional maintenance.
It’s typically harder to remove dents from wooden doors than to repair steel or aluminum.
How to Fix a Dented Garage Door Panel
There are several trusted methods for fixing a minor garage door dent. Use your best judgment to determine if you can repair your door or you should hire a professional.
Hammering Out the Dent
You can often repair an aluminum door with a hammer. Follow these three steps:
- Wash: Clean the dented area with soap and water.
- Gather supplies: Use a wood block and mallet for this repair.
- Hammer: Hold the block against the dent and tap the section until it’s level with your surrounding door panels.
Heating the Panel
Another common method for garage repair is heating:
- Preparation: Wash and dry the panel, then stretch aluminum foil over the dent.
- Heat: Use a lighter for about one minute to heat the surface of the aluminum foil. Afterward, take the aluminum foil away quickly.
- Spray: Spray the dent with a can of compressed air for about half a minute to a full minute. Carbon monoxide should pop your panel back into place.
Contact Oregon City Garage Door
Whether the job is too big or you want the convenience of professional help, Oregon City Garage Door is in your corner.
We offer garage door panel repair and replacement services. Our team of professionals will assess and repair minor dents in your door or accident that prevents it from opening and closing. Reach out and request a free quote today!