Guide to Garage Door Technology
With smart home technology increasing by leaps and bounds, it’s no surprise that even garage doors have brought a progressive approach to an otherwise underappreciated home feature. Now, it’s possible to modify almost anything mechanical or motorized for smart technology and its many uses. Our smartphones open worlds of possibilities with thousands of apps designed to make our lives easier.
Operating your garage door is as easy as pressing a button on your phone. With more functionality options, you no longer need a remote to open and close your door. This guide will explore how Wi-Fi garage door openers work and discuss other innovations, including the Amazon Key In-Garage Delivery option.
With our arsenal of knowledge, let Oregon City Garage Door install the latest garage door openers and accessories for improved security and convenience.
Wi-Fi Garage Door Opener Technology
While you may not necessarily want to replace your garage door remote with your smartphone, the ability to perform the same and additional functions on another device is convenient. If you misplace your remote, your phone will offer the solution. Some features of Wi-Fi garage door openers include the following.
- Mobile app syncing: Many newer garage door opener models use the internet, specifically Wi-Fi, to perform tasks remotely via a downloaded app on a smartphone. The app allows you to monitor activity in and around your garage even if you are not at home. You can also open and close your garage door from a distance if you need to let anyone in.
- Voice commands: The app allows you to activate features like voice control, where you can prompt virtual assistants like Siri or Alexa to operate the garage door on your behalf.
- Push notifications: Receive push notifications each time there’s door activity so you stay on top of things. The app will let you know whether it’s opening, closing or left open too long.
- Programming: Program your door to adhere to a fixed schedule every day or based on activity. For example, program your door to automatically open at the estimated time you arrive from work or secure it at a specific time each night. Or, schedule it to close by default after it’s stayed open for a given period. You can program more advanced models to switch light sensors on and off at regular intervals throughout the night.
Additional Garage Door Opener Smart Technology
Each of our Liftmaster garage door openers works with the myQ smartphone app and provides different functions. Notably, they let you view real-time updates and control your garage door entirely remotely from anywhere with an internet connection. Wi-Fi openers are growing in popularity as the need for improved security measures remains. Other garage door opener smart technology is also available on the market.
- Bluetooth: This technology requires you to be physically close to your garage door to operate it. It is less effective than Wi-Fi, since the connection is not as stable and tends to be intermittent, but it works well if done correctly.
- Geofencing: Our phones are ideal trackers. Some may be able to pick up your proximity due to your location settings and signal the garage door to open when you approach. Geofencing is an excellent addition to garage door openers using smart technology.
- Rolling codes: Your garage door opener sends a new code to your phone every time it opens and closes. Since the codes constantly change, intruders or hackers cannot duplicate them and use your Wi-Fi network to infiltrate your system.
- Live monitoring: Some garage door smart technology systems come with motion-detecting cameras you can place inside and outside your garage. You’ll have total surveillance of your garage surroundings, which you can link to your smartphone and watch remotely.
Amazon Key In-Garage Delivery
Amazon introduced its Key In-Garage Delivery option for Prime members in November 2017, and it’s been a massive success since. This feature allows members to order items online and have a delivery driver drop their parcel in their garage while they’re away. Here’s how Amazon Key In-Garage Delivery works:
- Link your garage to Amazon Key in the Amazon app, then turn on In-Garage Delivery.
- Sign in with your Amazon credentials.
- Select the “Let’s get started” prompt and “Set up a residence.”
- Link your Amazon and myQ accounts.
- Optionally, you can set up a camera with Cloud Cam or another service for further visibility.
- Browse through Amazon and select your items.
- Proceed to checkout and choose “Free Key Delivery.”
- You’ll receive a notification of the estimated delivery time.
- The driver will scan your package when they arrive.
- Once verified, the garage door will open automatically.
- The delivery person will place your parcel inside your garage.
- The delivery driver will wait until the door closes, concealing your parcel safely inside, before leaving.
If you don’t already have one, you may choose to install a camera for maximum security. Then, you can monitor your delivery driver from the moment they arrive until they leave. This feature is only available for Amazon deliveries, not items you receive through other services such as FedEx and UPS.
Benefits of Garage Door Technology
Garage door technology has come a long way in ensuring safety feature enhancement. There are many advantages to installing a garage door opener that is compatible with Wi-Fi and other technology.
- Increased security: Depending on the model, your garage door opener may have a security camera that lets you oversee your garage and home when you are at work or on vacation. The app generates and sends rolling codes to your phone with each door use for added security. You have complete control over access and who gains entry to your home, reducing the risk of break-ins. Most models also have LED lights that brighten the whole outside area, so you and your family are never vulnerable in the dark when you pull up to your home at night.
- Battery backup: Increase security further by ensuring you have a battery backup feature on your garage door. With this, you can still safely operate your garage door if you ever lose power. In addition, if your garage remote battery dies, you can use your phone to control your garage door.
- Safety sensors: A prominent feature of garage door technology packages is the inclusion of safety sensors. They detect any objects that obstruct the doorway by reversing the mechanism to avoid injuring anyone who could be in the way, especially children or animals.
- Utmost convenience: Enjoy remotely controlling your garage door by tapping a button. No need to stand within feet of your garage to command it to open and close and monitor activity any time, from anywhere.
- Seamless operation: Smartphone apps like myQ allow seamless operation with Wi-Fi connectivity. Your internet connection should ideally be strong to work optimally, but it is usually highly effective and reliable. Newer garage door opener models operate quietly, so you don’t have to worry about them disturbing your peace.
- Increased home value: Any security upgrades to your home are beneficial and add value if you ever decide to sell your home.
Let Oregon City Garage Doors Install Your Door Opener
While you may be willing to go to extremes to guarantee your family’s safety, we often underestimate the simplicity of upgrading existing devices to achieve the desired results. Oregon City Garage Door offers various garage door openers with smart technology to give you complete control of your garage and peace of mind knowing your family and belongings are secure.
If you’re ready to take the next step to protect your home, call us at 503-662-7665 or request an estimate so we can get the job done in no time.